Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Tombstone Tuesday: Maple Grove Cemetery, Chesterville, Morrow Co., Ohio

Maple Grove Cemetery is on the way to Mt. Gilead in Morrow Co., Ohio.  I was on the hunt for Keller tombstones and I found one large one in this cemetery.

Maple Grove Cemetery is featured on Find A Grave 43% photographed and 2539 interments.

Maple Grove is also listed in the Morrow County, Ohio Tombstone Transcriptions which consists of six Volumes. It is listed under Chester Township on page 85. I found these at the Morrow County Genealogical Society but Family History Library has the series as well.

To get to this Maple Grove Cemetery you take Hwy 13 up to Hwy 95 going west to Chesterville which takes you to Mt. Gilead.  You can't miss this cemetery for it has a huge brick entry way.

Entrance to Maple Grove Cemetery, Chesterville, Ohio
You are then greeted by the monument to the fallen and a map of the cemetery behind a glass case.

The Dedication to their Veterans from 1861 to present

I found the Keller Monument over on the southwest corner of this large cemetery.  It was a large stone with foot stones in front. If George or Frances are related to my line, I do not know at this time. 

George and Frances Keller with footstones in foreground
George W. Keller June 27, 1850 to Mar. 2, 1913
Frances, His wife Nov. 10, 1851 to Sept. 23, 1839
There is no inscription on the backside of this monument. 

Looking at the George & Frances Keller stone
As always in genealogy, new information comes to you and I have learned that descendants of John and Mary Keller my third great grandparents lived in the Chesterville area.  These families are also buried in the Chester Baptist Cemetery which is down the road from this Maple Grove in Chesterville. Their daughter Lavina Keller married W. G. Helt and their children settled in the area. The surnames are Doty, Pearl, Sensel, Wintermute and more.  I have found Wintermutes listed in the online and book form buried in this cemetery.  In future posts, I will be writing about the Helts and their descendants on my blog "Solomon Goss of Fearing Twp., in Ohio.  

No comments:

Post a Comment