Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tombstone Tuesday - A Study of Franklin, Knox and Morrow Counties, Ohio Cemeteries - In search of the Keller Surname

In 2011 when I traveled to Ohio, I did a very deep search of the cemeteries in Franklin, Knox and Morrow County, Ohio.  Actually, I searched Knox thoroughly, did the northern part of Franklin for the Delano family and other areas for Kellers and the areas around South Bloomfield Twp., in Morrow County.

I now regret not extending my search to northern Morrow County in North Bloomfield Twp., Richland and Crawford County, Ohio.  As I have been writing posts and sharing my research on the children of my 3rd great grandparents John and Mary (Delano) Keller I have learned that the children migrated to these counties to the north. I refer you to my blog: Solomon Goss of Fearing Twp. in Ohio for more details, see side panel of this blog.

My goal was to see if I could find Delano and Keller burials. I was looking for where the siblings of my 2nd great grandmother Elizabeth (Keller) Spracklin finally came to rest.  I was also looking for clues to John Keller origins.

This study took me to several cemeteries in my travels, not to mention researching at various archives in Ohio such as the Ohio Historical Society, the Ohio Genealogical Society in Bellville, the Columbus Metropolitan Library, the Morrow and Knox County Genealogical Societies and the wonderful public library in Mt. Vernon.  I studied cemetery books, newspaper abstract books and newspapers on microfilm.

I have posted on this blog for the Hedding M.E. Cemetery in South Bloomfield so see my posts dated March 11 and March 25, 2014.  This cemetery is in Morrow County, Ohio. In this cemetery we have John, Mary, Peter and William Franklin and Ida Keller.

Hedding M.E. Cemetery, Morrow Co., Ohio

The Kempton Cemetery is located in Franklin Co., Ohio and I posted about it on April 22, 2014. I was looking for Delano's and Oliver is suppose to be buried there.

In my post dated May 6, 2014, I share about my visit to the Dunkirk Cemetery in Hardin County, Ohio where Caroline (Keller) Van Houten and her family are buried.  Caroline is the daughter of John and Mary Keller.

Dunkirk Cemetery, Hardin Co., Ohio
So at this point I have found the tombstones of Peter, Frank and Caroline all Keller children.

In Mount Vernon I visited the Mound Cemetery looking for Kellers and Delanos.  I share about my visit to that cemetery in the post dated April 13, 2014 titled "Columbus and Cornelius Delano of Ohio and Other Delano Family..." on my Solomon Goss Blog, see right panel of this blog.

I did not share about Kellers buried in Mound Cemetery in Mt. Vernon so in a following post I will review my visit to that amazing cemetery.

I also visited the Bloomfield Cemetery, south of Sparta, in Morrow County, Ohio and found Henry Keller and his family a son of John and Mary Keller.  I also made other discoveries that go back in time on the Goss side.  I will share my findings in the next post.  Just a word of caution, do not get Bloomfield Cemetery in South Bloomfield mixed us with Bloomingrove Cemetery in North Bloomfield Twp., Morrow County, Ohio.

Bloomfield Cemetery in Morrow Co., Ohio
I then visited the following cemeteries to see what the Keller stones would tell me and I will post about my visit in the future.

  • Maple Grove Cemetery in Chesterville, Morrow Co., Ohio and found a couple Kellers.  
  • Oak Grove Cemetery, Gambier, Knox County, Ohio
  • Owl Creek Church of the Brethren Cemetery, Knox County, Ohio - Ankenytown, Ohio
  • Forest Cemetery, Knox County, Ohio in Fredericktown, Knox County, Ohio
  • Rivercliff Cemetery in Mt. Gilead, Morrow County, Ohio
Here is a map with the approximate location of the cemeteries I visited in 2011 in Knox and Morrow County.  I do have to realize that I only had so much time so at least I around to these.  

Cemetery Study Ohio 2011
I use Find A Grave, Internment, the Tombstone Project and other things like Google Images, maps and more to pin down a cemetery location and figure out who is buried there. I think it is one of my favorite things to do.   

No comments:

Post a Comment