Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tombstone Tuesday: Lee Cemetery, Hardin Co., Ohio

The Lee Cemetery in Dudley Township, Hardin Co., Ohio is very special to me.  Buried there are my 4th great grandparents and some of their children.  Their son John Andrews Spracklin would be my 3rd great grandfather and he is buried in Green Valley Cemetery northeast of Mt. Vernon in Knox Co., Ohio.  I have posted about that cemetery in the past on this blog.

The Lee Cemetery is southeast of Kenton, Ohio the county seat of Hardin County.  It is set in a lovely area off the main road and I have had the good fortune to have visited this cemetery twice.  One time as I was viewing the tombstones a man with a horse and carriage came by.  The second time I was there another horse and carriage when by, but this time there were two boys and one girl.  I believe it is Amish country? I waived at the boys and girls and nodded at the man.  I did sneak one picture of the man in the carriage from a distance.

Find A Grave has a listing and tombstone pictures for the Lee Cemetery at: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=41801&CScn=Lee&CScntry=4&CSst=37&CScnty=2072&

I visited there in 2007 and again in 2011. I wrote about my visit to Ohio in the blog Solomon Goss of Fearing Twp., in Ohio.  You can find the link on the right side of this blog to that blog.  I am currently sharing about the children of John Andrews Spracklin and Lydia Goss.  They would be Peter and Betty Spracklin's grandchildren. This cemetery is well cared for and in pretty good shape. The map below is from Microsoft's Streets & Trips and is from my trip in 2011.  I am a bit obsessed about driving around and don't rely on GPS. To get to the cemetery from Kenton take the main road east out of town - E. Franklin St. It turns into State Rte. 309.  Go a little ways about 1 mile and I turn right onto CR-144 and it goes southeast till it curves west and you pass the Morrison Cemetery and just before you come to Hepburn you will find the Lee Cemetery on your left.  It is about 6-8 miles southeast of Kenton?


Lee Cemetery sign 2007

Horse and buggy on the road near Lee Cemetery

Overview of the cemetery and where Spracklin's lie. 
Hepburn, if you end up here you went to far east and will need to go back to find the cemetery. 

Hepburn, Ohio
Me and my 4th great grandparents, Peter and Betty Spracklin 2007.
Peter and Betty Spracklin came from Pitney, Somersetshire, England leaving out of Bristol, England with most of their children in 1823 to the United States. On the Solomon Goss blog I discuss their immigration and their son John's. John came to the United States in 1817 with his aunt Anne Andrews Rood, sister to Betty. The Roods settled in Marietta, Ohio in Fearing Twp. near Solomon Goss.  John married Lydia Goss in Washington Co., Ohio and they went to Knox Co., Ohio to settle on land that her father Solomon Goss purchased and gave to her in a deed in 1815. John and Lydia were there in Knox Co. about 1823 according to tax records and Peter settle there as well till he moved to Hardin Co., Ohio.  I believe he received the land in Hardin from his father-in-law John Andrews.  The other possibility is that the inheritance from John Andrews allowed him to purchase the land in Dudley Twp. in Hardin Co. I am still working on figuring it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment