Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tombstone Tuesday: Green Valley Cemetery, Knox County, Ohio cont'd...

Why does it make me happy when I find an ancestor's final resting place.  I have been doing that lately online but there is nothing like visiting a particular cemetery, the fragrance, the earth beneath your feet, the birds and in some case the cattle lowing, the cars or carriages that pass by.

I had that opportunity in 2007 and 2011 to visit the Green Valley Cemetery in Knox County, Ohio.  My 3rd great grandparents rest there, John Andrews Spracklin and Lydia (Goss) Spracklin.  There daughter Ida is next to them and Lydia's brother Noah is also beside them. I wish I knew why he died so young but the A journal of the Knox County, Probate Index is missing. I asked about that in Mt. Vernon and the Knox County Annex and the clerk made a face.  I have not been able to find any obituaries but then the newspapers in the area are spotty in their runs and they probably didn't do that in 1833.

I posted a map to the Green Valley in the last post.  It is a two lane road that meanders along and you come upon the cemetery on your right if you are going west.  You can't miss it.

The first time I visited was with a cousin and it was pouring rain.  The year was 2007.  She jumped out and tried for a picture of the tombstones.  Don't worry we went back several times to visit.


Green Valley & Cochran 2007

Green Valley Cemetery from the road 2007

Green Valley some stones 2007. It is well kept. 

Green Valley 2011 - Looking toward the church, no records there it was established in 1857? 
Noah Goss, Lydia and John Spracklen, Ida Spracklen. 
Noah Goss tombstone -You can see it is flaking but someone repaired the base?

John Spracklen Tombstone

Lydia (Goss) Spracklen Tombstone

Ida Spracklen Tombstone
  starts 2nd name down:   Goss, Noah d. 7/18/1833 a. 51y
  Spracklen, Lydia d. 1-19-1851 a. 57y-7m-11d
   (wife of John Spracklen)
  Spracklen, John d. 2-6-1862 a. 67y-27d
  Spracklen, Ida d. 6-7-18?? a. 10y
     (dau. of J.A. & L. Spracklen)

More overview photographs taken in 2011.  It is very lovely there and peaceful.  For information about the burials in this cemetery, I refer you to my previous post on this cemetery. Detailed information about these indivduals is at my blog:  Solomon Goss of Fearing Twp., in Ohio http://sgossfamily.wordpress.com/

This visit there was no rain, in fact, there was a little sunshine.






Well, I think I am going to have to go back.  I was thinking I could combine western Ontario with a little of northern Ohio in 2014 or 2015?  Ponder... ponder...????

No comments:

Post a Comment