Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Tombstone Tuesday: Green Valley Cemetery, Knox County, Ohio

The Green Valley Cemetery is a very special place for me and all my cousins.  It is where John Andrews Spracklin/len and Lydia Goss Spracklin/len are buried.  They are my 3rd great grandparents.  Their daughter Ida is also buried there. Lydia's brother Noah is buried there.  It is a lovely cemetery northeast of Mt. Vernon, Ohio.

The surname Spracklin (my way of spelling it) can be spelled with the "e" Spracklen.  It can also be spelled other ways that are very creative by the indexers, clerks and more.

I have had the good fortune to visit this cemetery twice. The first time with my cousin in 2007 after the FGS Conference (Federation of Genealogical Societies) that held its gathering in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The Allen County Library was right there and they had just finished remodeling their building.  It was beautiful and crowded with attendees. So it was good planning on my part to return after I had taken by trip to Ohio. I got the chance to do more research in the library's wonderful genealogical center.  FGS returned to Fort Wayne for their 2013 Conference.

Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana
I also took advantage of the closeness to Michigan, while visiting Fort Wayne, Indiana, and traveled to visit the graves of Lydia's brother Levi Goss in Lenawee County, Ohio at another Goss Cemetery.  I then sought out my cousin a descendant of Levi, Flora Montanye Osborn's gravesite in the Rice Cemetery.  Flora wrote articles on her Goss lineage back in the 1940's.  I posted about this cemetery on this blog in the posts dated October 30, 2012 "Tombstone Tuesday: Goss Cemetery, Lenawee Co., Michigan." October 16, 2012 "Tombstone Tuesday: Goss Cemetery, near Morenci, Lenawee Co., Michgan."  Flora Montanye Osborn has a page at the Solomon Goss Blog.

The second time was in 2011 when I made my big trip to Ohio, concentrating on it only.  I revisited a lot of locations like Kenton, Mt. Vernon, Knox County,  and added other locations like Ravenna, Columbus, and Marietta, Ohio.

I did not blog about that first trip but did share a little about my visit in a variety of posts on different blogs that I am writing. I did blog about the second trip to Ohio taken in 2011.  I wrote about it in my other blog: Solomon Goss of Fearing Twp., In Ohio: http://sgossfamily.wordpress.com/ 

Did you notice my 3rd great grandmother Lydia's maiden name?  Yes, it is Goss.  Solomon Goss was her father the title of that blog. The dates of the trip are July and August of 2011.  Go to the Archives on the Solomon Goss blog and click the months that I give here.  It should take you to the posts I wrote about my trip to Ohio in 2011.

Green Valley Cemetery, Northeast of Mt. Vernon, Knox Co., Ohio
I wrote on the Green Valley Cemetery. http://sgossfamily.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/john-lydia-goss-spracklin-rest-peacefully-in-green-valley/ combining it with the other posts on John and Lydia Spracklin. You will see some of the same photographs of this Green Valley Cemetery posted here.

I am sharing these photos from 2007 and 2011 for the benefit of all those who are really not interested in Spracklins but the other people buried in this cemetery.  Now I did focus on my family but on my second trip I tried to get an overview of the cemetery.

How to get to the Green Valley Cemetery in Knox Co., Ohio
Here are some resources in finding tombstones in Ohio and more:

"Ohio Cemeteries:  1803 to 2003," compiled by the Ohio Genealogical Society, Editor K. Roger Troutman.  This book has the address of Mansfield, Ohio were the OGS - Ohio Genealogical Society was originally located. This book is a detailed listing of the cemeteries in Ohio. It lists the cemeteries by county and then township.  OGS has since moved to Bellville, Ohio and are in a very lovely building. I arrived a little before they opened in the early morning.

Ohio Genealogical Society, Bellville, Ohio

Couldn't resist showing you the inside.  Very pleasant to do research at this lovely facility.  
Another resource is the cemetery books published for Knox County by the Knox County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society.  "Cemetery Records of Knox County, Ohio," Volume I (several more volumes available), 1991.  You can find them at the genealogical society or the Mt. Vernon Public Library, OGS and many other archives and societies in the State of Ohio. Volume I covers the Green Valley Methodist.

You can go here to get an online listing :  http://www.angelfire.com/nt/gvc/cemetery.html  You will find Lydia, John and Ida along with Noah Goss listed under Row 14.

Find A Grave also has a listing of about 366 tombstones with 81% photographed. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=310479&CScn=Green+Valley&CScntry=4&CSst=37&

On the second trip in 2011, I was all over a great many cemeteries looking for Keller's.  John and Lydia's son Daniel is my 2nd great grandfather and he married Elizabeth Keller in Morrow County, Ohio in 1852.  I will write about those visits to various cemeteries in Knox and Morrow County in later posts.

Don't forget go to the Solomon Goss blog at http://sgossfamily.wordpress.com/ for more information on the Spracklins, Goss and allied families.

No comments:

Post a Comment