Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Rice Cemetery, Milan Twp., Monroe Co., Ohio

Forgive me but I jumped ahead and didn't take you to the Rice Cemetery in Milan Twp.  So I am sandwiching this in between the October 30 and Nov 13th posts.  


After I finished up at the Goss Cemetery near Morenci, I headed up to the Rice Cemetery in Milan Twp., Monroe Co., Michigan.  My reason was to visit the gravesite of Flora Montanye Osborn my cousin.  Flora did a lot of research on the Goss Family, corresponding with Paul H. Goss, another Goss researchers.  I have been sharing about Flora on the Solomon Goss of Fearing Twp. blog presenting some of her findings.  You can access that blog by going to the right side of this blog and clicking on the Solomon Goss Blog link.
Below is a repeat of the post I did for the Solomon Goss blog on November 4, 2012:  


My day trip visiting cemeteries in Michigan in August 2007 included a quick trip up to Monroe County and the Rice Cemetery. My goal was to pay my respects to Flora Montanye Osborn who had done work on the Goss family line years ago. I drove through Adrian and headed east toward the town of Milan.  The Rice Cemetery is southwest of Milan on Dennison Road north of Hictory and south of Redman Road.  It is nestled in a grove of trees on the left if you are going north.
 Find A Grave has a listing for this cemetery, a map and tombstone photographs.
 Source:  Rice Cemetery, Milan Twp., Dennison Road, at Mead Road, Compiled by Linda Ziegler, Frieda Kellie & Shirley Keehn, June 10, 1980.  Another version is the Rice Cemetery, transcribed by Linda Alair October 2000.
I made a call to the genealogical society for help in obtaining a published transcription of this cemetery.  Here is the Genealogical Society of Monroe Co., Michigan link:  http://gsmcmi.org/index.php
Flora and Frederick's tombstone
Flora and Frederick Lester Osborn's tombstone
Flora's DAR Emblem
Another Stone for Flora
Another stone for Frederick Lester Osborne
The Rice Tombstone:
The Rice Family Tombstone
Closer to the Rice Family Tombstone (just click on the photo and it should open in a larger screen and then click your back button to return).
Up closer to this tombstone - Rice Family
Lewis M. Osborn tombstone, son of Frederick Lester and Flora.
Lewis Osborn, Flora's Son

My trip was complete and I headed west back to Fort Wayne traveling back through the town of Adrian, the county seat of Lenawee County. Here I am next to Flora and her husband's stone.  It was a very good day!
Flora and Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment