Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday: Goss Cemetery, near Morenci, Lenawee Co., Michigan

Back in August of 2007 I had a chance to attend the Federation of Genealogical Society conference in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  Well, I could not pass that up because Fort Wayne is home to the Allen County Public Library which has a very big genealogical collection.  The library is now about 6 years old and is beautiful to visit.  The Federation of Genealogical Societies will be having their 2013 conference there in August and I highly recommend going to both.  Here is a preliminary flyer:

http://www.fgs.org/upload/files/FGS2013_Conference_Flyer.pdf

Be prepared to have an interesting experience flying into and out of Fort Wayne.  In Chicago, I walked and walked to get to the plane boarding area.  On the way out of Fort Wayne I ended up being routed to Texas and then to Seattle because they had canceled my flight.  The Fort Wayne Airport check in attendant was extremely helpful, so you are in good hands.

Allen County Library interior

The other factor was that Ohio and Michigan were not that far away.  I decided to take a drive up to Lenawee and Monroe County, Michigan.  I wanted to pay a visit to my 3rd great uncle Levi Goss and then visit his great granddaughter Flora Montanye Osborn.  Flora did a lot of research on the Goss family back in the early 1900's up to her death in 1951.  She is my 3rd cousin twice removed.

So I visited the Goss Cemetery near Morenci in Lenawee County first. I then traveled north and visited the Rice Cemetery in Milan Twp., Monroe Co., Michigan were Flora rests with her closer relatives.

I like to have a published copy of the cemetery before I visit.  Here is my source.

Source:  Burial Records of Lenawee County, Michigan, Vol. 2, Medina Twp., #3 Goss/Perry/Woodworth Addition, Morenci, Michigan, 2011, FHL#977.431 V3b V.2.

Find A Grave has a listing for this cemetery and not necessarily tombstone photos.

I was going east toward the town of Morenci and blew right by this cemetery.  However as I drove west I was able to find it easily on the north side of the road.  Sometimes it pays to travel a road both ways to find what you are looking for, HA!


Overview Goss Cemetery, Lenawee Co., MI



No comments:

Post a Comment