Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Stoney Fork Cemetery NC: Wrapping Up!

A dream has been realized, I have come to the end of posting the tombstone photographs for the Stoney Fork Cemetery in Montgomery County, North Carolina that I took when I was visiting there in 2009.  Hopefully they will help others with their family history.

One last photograph which worries me for it is covered in grass.  How many others are buried under the earth in this cemetery?  It doesn't take long for nature to take over and once a tombstone falls on the ground this is what happens.



This posting has taken me over a year to complete.  I was averaging every two weeks.  Blogger is not easy when it comes to photographs.  It has a mind of its own.  Some of my blogging friends do wonderful photography and I don't know how they do it!

For some refresher information go to this earlier post:  A Visit to North Carolina - Charlotte & Five Counties, dated March 3, 2011 and you can start there by scrolling forward in time.  One of the links does not work so for the Family History 101.com site, here is the new updated link.  It is now called N2Genealogy.com:  http://www.n2genealogy.com/northcarolina/ 

I mentioned this book:  "Montgomery County List of Cemeteries," Recorded by Mary Thompson King and Friends of the County, published for the Montgomery County Historical Society, 1999.  This book is 298 pages.  It is done alphabetically by the individuals surname.  The columns in the book are: Last Name, First Name, Birth, Death, Comments, Cemetery.  It is about 1.5 inches thick.  The historical society does not have a website so you will have to do some sleuthing to obtain a copy." 

There is a lot of good information in this book but there are a lot of tombstones not listed. 

This Tourism website is wonderful with links, information about the various areas in North Carolina, articles on the history of the county, photographs and a great township map of Montgomery County.  Boy does that bring back memories!  Here is that link!


It is time for me to travel so I will be quiet for awhile on this blog.  If you go to the side bar on this blog and scroll to the listing for "My Blog List," click on "The Man Who Lived Airplanes" or "The Boardmans and Browns of Winnipeg" and you can follow along with me.  Yes, I will visit cemeteries but they will be in Canada. 

When I return, I will share photographs from a cemetery in Union County, NC.















No comments:

Post a Comment